Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Name That Movie Revealed

Casablanca A 1942 film set during World War II in the Vichy-controlled Moroccan city of Casablanca. The film was directed by Michael Curtiz, and stars Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine and Ingrid Bergman as Ilsa Lund. It focuses on Rick's conflict between, in the words of one character, love and virtue: he must choose between his love for Ilsa and his need to do the right thing by helping her husband, Resistance hero Victor Laszlo, escape from Casablanca and continue his fight against the Nazis. Rick (Humphrey Bogart) : Last night we said a great many things. You said I was to do the thinking for both of us. Well, I've done a lot of it since then, and it all adds up to one thing: you're getting on that plane with Victor where you belong. Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) : But, Richard, no, I... I... Rick: Now, you've got to listen to me! You have any idea what you'd have to look forward to if you stayed here? Nine chances out of ten, we'd both wind up in a concentration camp. Isn't that true, Louie? Captain Renault (Claude Rains): I'm afraid Major Strasser would insist. Ilsa: You're saying this only to make me go. Rick: I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life. Ilsa: But what about us? Rick: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night. Ilsa: When I said I would never leave you— Rick: And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that. [She begins to cry] Now, now... Here's looking at you kid. The obvious quote from this movie is: "Here's looking at you kid", however, the line "We'll always have Paris" was an oft repeated & remembered movie line that was also delivered in the climatic final scene of this movie classic... And Kim M. shared this famous line from Casablanca that could just as easily been the movie line challenge: "Of all the gin joints in all the world she had to walk in to mine". Such a great movie. Such great lines. Such a true Classic...

3 Comments:

At 4/12/2006 09:55:00 AM, Blogger Kim M. said...

One of my top 5 favorite movies. I've loved all the movies you guys have picked!!!

 
At 4/15/2006 08:02:00 AM, Blogger rubyiscoming said...

This is a comfort movie for us. THANKS! :)

 
At 4/15/2006 08:08:00 AM, Blogger Miss Cellania said...

Number one for me.

I am shocked! Shocked! To hear that there is GAMBLING going on in this establishment!

Round up the usual suspects!

You'll have to do the thinking for both of us.

Its easy to see that the problems of three people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home