Thursday, March 30, 2006

I Didn't Know You Would Become "Family"

Just recently a favorite "blogger" of mine and quite possibly for you as well made the decision to “step outside for a while.” Translated; he made a decision to end his blog. It is not hyperbole when I say that many of us, his faithful readers, were both shocked and saddened. These personal blogs of ours are strange creatures. When Alyson and I began our blog it was for the most common and noble of reasons, we wanted to capture our adoption journey to Alyzabeth and the blogsite offered an efficient and effective way to capture that quest and share it with family and friends. Not unlike how it was and still is for many of you. However, as each of our adoption processes wound (for some still winding) their way through the grueling paperchase and on through Gotcha Day, did you not begin to notice subtle shifts on the blogs you were reading on a regular basis? In truth, was not a large part of that shift a direct result of you and I, faithful readers through and through, and our ever-expanding expectations for the next day’s post? Not demanding per se but very much in demand. We started to like each other’s company. We enjoyed being together, visiting each other as it were from miles and miles away. We formed overnight FedEx attachments. We developed notarized, certified, authenticated kinships. We were becoming something of an extended family. I have often yearned for a shared blog family reunion to bring us all together where we would sort through our blog family lineages. We would detail how we found each other’s blogsite and compare the site links we had in common. We’d hand out new blogs to check out like they were old and revered family recipes. I know what our imaginary reunion would look like. At our reunion we’ll swap paperchase horror stories and detail the excruciating time spent waiting for the referral. We will proudly show our referral pictures and ooh and ahh over each other’s little ones. Others will be boastfully pointing to their daughters already happily playing together. We’ll talk about long flights, strange foods, jet lag, red couches and seeing our families for the first time on arriving home. Ours would be a grand reunion full of food, laughter, love and daughters. We would proudly stand together adoption battle scared and field-tested sharing a tie strengthened by the commonality of what we had endured… And accomplished. The blogs we read on a regular basis form the families we envision at our reunion. We really do dream these dreams and think these thoughts. All because we take the risk to expose our thoughts, our fears, our hopes. All because we take the risk to care, to share, to offer support. J would be at our reunion and at some point he would lead us in the singing of one of his favorite songs (chosen from a list he once blogged) while dressed in distinctive Purple Pimp Suits furnished by none other than J himself. We will embarrass our daughters to no end. I think that would be Ok. A good laugh is often needed and too often neglected. Maybe your blog began as a way to keep family and friends updated on the adoption process and all of a sudden it too now includes “family & friends” you never knew existed just months before. And did you notice how our blogs slowly began to reflect that change, often with little conscious awareness of its happening on our part? We shared birthdays and anniversaries. We came to know the names of each other’s children, siblings, parents and grandparents. We reminisced on those who had passed on. We “attended” parties with you that we never went to and enjoyed dinners we never tasted. I knew when your spouse was working too hard or how you were counting the days when they would be “home” from business or war. We were sharing baptisms and wedding, vacations and births. We shared like family without ever having met not unlike cousins and aunts & uncles we have today. So when our friend J decided to “go outside for a while” it was more than an acquaintance bidding adieu. It was losing family. He was the favorite uncle who would be missing at the next reunion. I was always envious of J’s blog because he was able to speak so openly, so unreserved, in a way that many of us felt incapable or some how restrained from doing. Because J never shared his blog with his “first” family we were treated to some of the most insightful, funny and sobering looks of his family. I kick myself for not saving some of his classic posts. We had clues J might leave us. On a couple of occasions he had intimated that such a day had crossed his mind. I remember thinking maybe sooner than later. He may return to us yet. I hold out hope for just such a thing. I sent J my best along with the wish to stay in touch, especially asking that he inform us of major happenings with regard to the adoption. The sudden realization for many of us was the awareness that we are all in this together. More closely aligned and tightly bound than we ever envisioned, imagined or remotely thought possible when we each made our private decision to begin the process that would bring our daughters home from half a world away. I have no idea which of you will be the next to “go outside for awhile” but this I know, it will happen. I often thought Alyson’s goodbye and mine would come once we arrived home with Alyzabeth and gradually made the transition to being totally overwhelmed parents. While we can barely wait to have Alyzabeth with us, I don’t much like the thought of losing you. I’ll yearn once more for a morning visit with you over a cup of coffee. I’ll think back to the imaginary reunions that never happened except online. I’ll think of our friend J and all the others who came to be family and then silently slipped away to do the more important task of caring for a daughter. I’ll miss you all when that day comes. I’ll think of you often and like the parents we are to be to our daughters – our thoughts of you, with our prayers, will last forever. So selfish of me. I’m just not yet ready to let you go…

9 Comments:

At 3/30/2006 08:39:00 AM, Blogger Stacey T. said...

Great post!!!!

I'm not going anywhere! I have to have somewhere to blow off steam!

 
At 3/30/2006 09:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you misspelled my name!

I, indeed, am on walkabout trying to decide what to do next. The thing I miss most is daily interaction with you all.

But, I'm watching you guys. I'm rooting for you guys. I'll be there along with you on your trip.

That's J as in "J".

J.

 
At 3/30/2006 09:26:00 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Wonderful post! I never in a million years thought that I would make such wonderful friends by starting a blog. I sometimes wonder if I would ever meet such wonderful people in my non-blogging life.

Hey, don't you go anywhere...not until that little girl is keeping you so busy that you have no choice!

Kim

 
At 3/30/2006 09:42:00 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

So true. Who knew starting a little online journal would create such fabulous friendships?

 
At 3/30/2006 03:54:00 PM, Blogger Nina said...

Well said! I, too, never expected the bonds that have developed with so many strangers (now cyber-buddies). It's been so meaningful to share this journey with you and others who are on the same path. Thanks for your eloquence in summing up this unique experience!!

 
At 3/31/2006 01:12:00 PM, Blogger glo said...

Hmmm I kinda feel sad that you all are missing someone you have bonded with over what I too have found out is an extremely emotionl experience only understood and shared best by those who are in or have been in your shoes. Now that is NOT me except if you are the grandma, watching your kids walk this journey to their child wherever they are.

Our (well their) adoption though is not about China and there won't be a red couch or any of that for them. I kind of wish in a way they had this kind of support system, knowing what we know now about this whole process.

I live far away from my kids who are adopting, but I am the one who has made the website for Elia, and have gotten involved in LOGS becasue I can't even walk my part aone. I want someone to rejoice with me on those good days and just listne to me on those not so good days or LONG!!!!! waiting times in between news. I may not really be welcome here, and will be curious to see if I hear from anyone who reads this entry. I do however understand the sense of strangers becoming like family as we have had a few who found our website who are not related or long term friends, but now very involved in the adoption etc. I can't imagine not keeping them informed of what is happening etc. and finally sharing our joy with them when we FINALLY get to post that she is HOME!!!

I do hope you hear from your fellow journeyer!!!! The waiting can get hard and so discouraging some times, and from what I have read Chian is backing up on its referrals some...but the days go by and everyone of you is a day closer to your child!!!! Keep on keeping on and keep on supporting each other. You will have your celebrations and maybe even some of those reunions if you work at it.
Blessing Glo

 
At 4/01/2006 02:12:00 AM, Blogger M3 said...

Totally agree. These blogs have a way of growing. Ours was originally just a way to keep the family informed. Whoooeeee, it's gotten a smidge bigger I guess. ;-)

 
At 4/10/2006 11:30:00 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Very well written. Over the past month and a half I've gotten so far behind on my blog posting, reading and commenting. I love being a mommy but I also love checking in on the ones who held my hand when times were tough and cheered with me when times were good. My bloggy family is my extended family...I guess it's sad to say that I'm closer to some of my e-family than I am to some of my kin.

That being said, I'm not going anywhere and I hope no one leaves me because they think I've forgotten about blogging. I love it and I miss it...I've got to find my balance.

Susan

 
At 4/12/2006 01:54:00 PM, Blogger Dee said...

I loved this post. It's exactly how I feel about so many of the bloggers I read on a daily basis. I always feel sad when someone I "know" decides to stop. It's a lot like a friend moving away to a place with no mail or phone. The good news is there are always new folks to get to know. I love finding a great new blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home