Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Dear Alyzabeth

Poor dear sweet Alyzabeth. Little one, you just might want to hide under your bed after I share some of what is waiting for you on this side of the world. Alyzabeth or "Lizzy" as your mom calls you, I hope you are a forgiving child. I hope you have a sense of adventure. I pray you love a good nap. I hope you like depression glass. I hope you have a butt as tough as alligator hide. I hope you like tasting new foods. I pray you love living & playing on the water. I hope you like humid weather. I hope you like clothes that won't always match and shoes that aren't always tied. I pray you get along with Salty Dog. I hope you enjoy little road trips to nowhere. I hope you like the taste of fish. I pray you love your Great Gandmother's china. I hope you like finger tip rubs and toes lightly tickled. I pray you love Sunday School. I hope you like finding stars at night. I hope you like cats that are sure to get in your lap. I hope you like riding in the backseat of cars. I pray you love family coming together for holidays. I hope you like kisses on the nose. I pray you love learning and music. I hope you like cousins and nieces and nephews who will push you down and then help you up. I pray you love Florida winters and Maine summers. I hope you like writing thank you notes. I hope you like your Grandmother's blueberry buckle. I hope you like reading. I pray you love Justin & Leaa. I hope you like the Jacksonville Jaguars, the St. Louis Cardinals and the University of Maine hockey. I hope you like challenges. I pray you love honesty. I hope you like homemade ice cream. I hope you like "live" theater. I hope you like being read bedtime stories. I pray you love giving more than receiving. I hope you like skiing at Steamboat. I hope you like movies that aren't scary. I hope you like growing fresh veggies. I hope you like pretty ribbons and things in your hair. I hope you like getting dirty. I pray you love taking baths. I hope you like riding a bike. I hope you like The Beatles. I hope you like practicing good manners. I pray you love older people. I hope you like tradition. I hope you like people who are different. I pray you love helping others. I hope you like making funny faces. I hope you like cooking with dad and baking with mom. I hope you like being you. I pray you love your birth mother & father. Oh, poor dear sweet Alyzabeth. Little one, We are full of hopes and love for you. We pray you love God. We pray you love mom and dad. We pray you love this country of ours. We pray you love being our daughter. We pray all this and so much more. And mostly we pray with each passing day God's speed to bring you home to us...

6 Comments:

At 2/28/2006 09:49:00 PM, Blogger Georgia said...

Gosh. You can adopt me, if you want. I think Alyzabeth is going to be one lucky little girl.

:-)

 
At 3/01/2006 02:14:00 PM, Blogger Kim M. said...

That was so moving and sweet. I hope you save that and give it to her on her wedding day.

 
At 3/02/2006 05:51:00 AM, Blogger Tom, Wendy, and Andrew said...

You guys are so wonderful!!! We love what you wrote. She will be so very happy to be in your lives.

 
At 3/02/2006 02:51:00 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

You made me cry. Cut that out.
Ms. Alyzabeth is one lucky baby girl. She is going to love all that and more because she will be so well loved.
Marsha

 
At 3/03/2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Nina said...

What a beautiful letter... Alyzabeth is blessed to have such loving, caring, sensitive, sensible (I mean that in a good way) and poetic parents.

Nina

 
At 4/10/2006 11:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW~
Brother Ford that was beautiful! I agree it must be read on her wedding day. The memories that you are making for Alyzabeth before she gets here is awesome.

I miss mom.

XOXO
Illinois Sis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home