Sunday, July 16, 2006

Birthday & Christmas A Little Early

This must be the week for boats. Our son Justin has been fishing out of a small 10' plastic boat for over 10 years. He has used it for everything from shrimping, diving the river for arrow-heads and of course, fishing. To say things were cramped would be a gross understatement. Especially when Clemus the family dog accompanied him. Last Sunday while on my way to church I spied a boat rig for sale in our neighborhood. I knew Justin had been looking for a 12' aluminum Jon boat. Long story short(ened). I stopped to take a very quick look because I was already running late. It was a good deal. A very good deal (fingers and toes crossed and a prayer that this wasn't a HUGE mistake). In less than five minutes of "bargaining" I told the owner that we had a deal and I would stop by as soon as church let out. I don't know if he was truly convinced since the for sale sign was still on the boat when I returned. So now Justin has a new "old" boat. It's a 17' Grumman Outlaw SX sporting a 70 HP Suzuki oil injected motor with a Shorelander trailer. It has power trim, two live wells, a foot controlled trolling motor, a CB radio, two fish finders (only one said to be working), an anchor, life jackets, fire extinguisher and two casting chairs (front & back). It's a comfortable fishing boat for two people (and a dog). It's a fine little river boat for a family of 3 just looking to cruise along. Best of all, it's suppose to float and run as opposed to sinking and never starting. Still, I cautioned Justin, take it out a couple of times without the family onboard and check it out good. After all, it's OLD and it's sure to have its share of aches and pains... Not fancy, not pretty but a whole lot better than that plastic thing he was fishing out of for sure. Good luck Justin, let's hope it really does float and the engine isn't shot! And oh yes, Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas (just a little early this year).

4 Comments:

At 7/16/2006 01:52:00 PM, Blogger C's Mom said...

Very nice. All the boat pictures remind me of when I went out on our family boat as a child and teen with my dad. I was a lousy 'fishergal' but those are some of my best memories of dad time.

 
At 7/18/2006 04:19:00 AM, Blogger Mom 2 six said...

What a sweet story !!
:)

 
At 7/18/2006 11:56:00 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Wow! What a great present! I'm sure he'll love it!

 
At 7/18/2006 05:03:00 PM, Blogger Mrs Pushy said...

I grew up on Lake Ontario with just a metal fishing boat with benches. Your son is one lucky guy :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home