Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Moxie Festival - The "Soda of Maine"

Since I am a Mainer living in "exile", I love to dream about the days when I can roam around my home State again. Here's a fun small town festival - Check out The Maine Moxie Festival. My BIL is a sponsor and vendor at this weekend's Moxie festival in Maine. "Moxie", a hold-over from the greatest generation, is a snappy soda that was originally patented as a cure-all and was marketed as Moxie Nerve Food. It was the first mass produced soda. Boston batter Ted Williams shilled for the drink, contributing to its all-American allure, and former President Calvin Coolidge toasted his sudden inauguration with an ice cold Moxie and was known for enjoying the beverage during his tenure in the nation's highest office. While Moxie may be experiencing a resurgence, one thing that hasn't changed is the taste. It's no secret that the drink is an "acquired taste,". Part of its allure is a strong aftertaste, caused no doubt by the gentian root and wintergreen extract in the soda."

1 Comments:

At 7/04/2006 01:04:00 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

Sounds like fun to me. This is the first I've heard of the Moxie Soda. I will be sure to try one if we ever cross paths.
Marsha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home